Drivers today do not take road usage seriously enough. I suggest the following to improve things:
– Driving lessons should only be taken when someone is at least 18.
– When one passes a driving test, based on theory and practical skills, they remain on a ‘beginner’ status until they are 25, when they take another simple test to check their awareness, sight and parking skills. If they pass that, they then get a standard driving licence.
– After that, drivers are to be tested again thoroughly every ten years from when they get their standard driving licence.
– When a driver reaches 65, they need to be tested every five years, particular in terms of their reactions and awareness skills.
– All drivers need to pass a basic maintenance course on looking after their car.
– All drivers must have comprehensive insurance and prove they have by sending a copy to the DVLA each year.